Sculpture at Trocadero in Paris, France
This photo was taken at the Trocadero area across the Seine River from the Eiffel Tower, in the 16th arrondissement of Paris. This sculpture overlooks dramatic fountains. In 1878 the old Palais du Trocadero was built for the 1878 World's Fair, but it was unpopular, so in 1937 the more modern Palais de Chaillot was built to replace it on the same foundations. (See the building in the background of this image). The fountains and garden in front are stunning. The Palais de Chaillot houses a few museums for navy, ethnology, architecture, and has a theater. The Eiffel Tower is the tallest structure in Paris and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. It was designed and built by the company of Gustave Eiffel, and completed in 1889 as the entrance to the 1889 World's Fair. It sits on the Champ de Mars and overlooks the Seine River across from the Trocodoro. In the beginning there was much criticism for the design of the Eiffel Tower, with concern that it would overshadow the other magnificent sights in Paris, but now it is the most visited paid monument in the world with 6.91 million visitors in 2015. The Eiffel Tower is 1,063 feet tall ( 324 metres); the top level's upper platform is 906 feet (276 metres) above ground, making it the highest observation deck for the public in the European Union. During construction pieces of the tower were riveted together in a nearby factory and arrived on site on horse-drawn carts. No drilling or shaping was done on site; if it didn't fit it was sent back for alteration. A total of 18,038 pieces were joined together using 2.5 million rivets. Names of 72 French scientists, engineers, and mathematicians were engraved on the Eiffel Tower to recognize their contributions to the building of the tower. The tower was painted in 3 shades of brown: lighter at the top and getting darker towards the bottom to complement the Parisian sky.
Copyright © 2016 Liesl Walsh